The ancestral castle of the Wittelsbachs, founded in 1204, was their residence as dukes of Lower Bavaria from 1255-1503 and their court when the Wittelsbachs became the hereditary rulers of the whole of Bavaria.
The impressive fortifications, the high Wittelsbach Tower and the castle chapel with valuable altars and sculptures are medieval in origin, while the arcades in the castle courtyard, the Commedia dell'arte paintings decorating the famous Narrentreppe (Fools' Staircase) and the rooms complete with tiled stoves, furniture and tapestries date from the Renaissance.
The Trausnitz Chamber of Art and Curiosities, a branch of the Bavarian National Museum, is a collection of 750 exhibits including works of art, treasures from the Orient and curiosities typical of the collections owned by rulers in the Renaissance era.
Further information you will find on
| top |
Burg Trausnitz 168
Infoline 0871 92411-44
30 March-3 Oct.:
9 am-6 pm
4 Oct.-29 March: 10 am-4 pm
Closed on: January 1, Shrove Tuesday, December 24/25/31
Visit only possible with a guided tour (in German; approximately 45 minutes)
Trausnitz Castle (including the Chamber of Art and Curiosities):
5.50 euros regular
4.50 euros reduced
(Trausnitz Castle/ Landshut Town Residence)
8 euros regular
6 euros reduced
Rooms only accessible via staircase
Chamber of Art and Curiosities, Branch of the Bavarian National Museum
Bus number 7 or 7A from "Altstadt" to "Kalcherstraße" (way to the castle: c. 1 km); additional stop on demand from March to October at "Hofgartenparkplatz"
100 car parking spaces, 4 bus parking spaces available at "Hofgartenparkplatz" (way to the castle: around 800 m)
| top |